100 Days and Counting!



I love the Olympics.  I love everything about them:  the opening ceremonies, the competition, the medals, and all the pomp and circumstance.  I am a homer when it comes to cheering for who wins.  I don't care who it is, or what they are competing in, as long as they are from the good 'ole US of A.  I will be in their corner, cheering, loudly.  (ask my children how loud I am if you don't believe me) 

I have wonderful memories watching the Olympics with  my family.  The first Olympics I really remember is the summer Olympics of 1984, and it was a good one.  It was Los Angles, CA.  It was Mary Lou Retton, Carl Louis, Auburn's own Rowdy Gaines, Greg Louganis, both the women's and men's basketball teams (this was before eight years before the 'dream team'), the cycling teams, it was just...everything!  It was hearing my national anthem played over and over.  It was the soundtrack, do you remember the soundtrack?  It made you want to get out there and compete too.  It was a perfect 10, not once, but twice on the vault to get the all around gymnastics gold.  It was a great Olympics.  My dad took our TV outside & we watched it while we hung out as a family.  Good memories from 1984!

I also loved the 1996 Olympics.  I don't remember a lot about them.  It was very hot at home, I had an almost two year old, and was pregnant with child number two.  I also remember being very sick that summer.  (I threw up every day of all nine months of each pregnancy.  It was horrible!)  Hoppy was the cutest thing, and he loved to watch the rowing.  He would get his Auburn shaker and sing 'Row, Row, Row Your Boat' during each race.  He made my summer, that crazy baby.  He was my buddy and would come and rub my back while I was sick; how fast time flies.  But... 

...Right now we are 100 days away from the beginning of the 2012 Olympics.  It's going to be great, and I don't plan to miss any of it.  I may have to plan an Olympics party & let the children invite friends over to watch some of the different events.  I can't think of a better way to spend a summer than hanging out with the fam, their friends, watching the Olympics, and cheering for the USA.

Celebrating Life, going for the gold & the USA!
~ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Bone to Pick

A New Place to Go

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro