Mom, the New Four Letter Word


My biggest blessings call me Mom.
I have been thinking about what it means to be a stay at home mom for the last few days.  I have been trying to figure out when a SAHM (stay at home mom) became a four letter word.  When did it begin to equate to someone who does nothing, means nothing, and is nothing? I remember the first time someone put me down for choosing to stay at home: Hopson was less than a month old.  17 1/2 years later & I will never forget what that woman said to me, and how hurtful it was.

It's disheartening to me that it's women who are putting other women down for their choice to stay at home with their children.  It's these women who claim that they want all women to have the right to make any choice for themselves, and not have to be told what choice to make.  But what I have found is that they are fine with what ever choice you decide as long as it's one that they put in front of you, and if you don't, heaven help you because now you're just though of as stupid.  Hilary Rosen....  Well, I'm tired of it & I'm not buying into it.  Hey guess what, I'm college educated; I have a brain that still works; and I am smart enough to research things & make my own decisions. And to be perfectly honest, I don't need any of your liberal commentary to let me know otherwise.  It's my choice to make, so I will make it. 

Yes, I chose to stay at home with my children.  Their firsts were mine to experience, and I'm selfish.  All of them have been burned into my very being, and it was more important to me than any paycheck could be.  Did I have the luxury to stay home, a little, yes.  We were not rich by any stretch of the means, but we knew, for our family, it was worth the sacrifice of money and things for me to stay home. 

Yes, I chose to support my husband with his job.  He was working for one of the big 6 (at the time there were 6) CPA firms.  When you're low man on the totem pole, you are cheap labor & they will work you as such.  It was brutal, but we made it through.  Yes, I may not work outside my home, but I know a few things.  I know how to make a budget and stick to it.  (something our Congress needs to learn)  I know how to balance my checkbook.  (something else Congress needs to learn)  Are you shocked at some of the things this SAHM can do?  Believe it or not, I can even multitask.  Hopson has told me he appreciates what I do for our family, so why would I care what anyone else thinks?

For all you moms who choose to work outside your home, I think that's great.  Women had a long struggle to be able to make that choice without ridicule.  To all the Hilary Rosens out there, shame on you.  Shame for taking one step back by your condemnation of SAHM.  Put your money where your mouth is and embrace the different choices you so claim to promote.

Celebrating Life & being a SAHM!
~ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro

A Little Bone to Pick

A New Place to Go