It's Looking You Straight in the Face

I love poetry; I always have.  I love everything about it.  One thing I think I like best is that I can see in my mind the images the words create.  We all do it when we read something, just in varying degrees, and every person's images are unique.  (it happens for me with music as well, because it is essentially poetry put to music.)  Poetry can also elicit emotions.  Tell me you don't feel anything when you read 'The Charge of the Light Brigrade' by Tennyson.  I dare you!  You know you do...you feel for those guys who are going into battle, and you wonder what in the world they were thinking and feeling.  I love poetry!

Girl in Mirror by Norman Rockwell

I found some poems that my mom gave my friends and me when we went to college.  I have been giving the poem out to Hop and his friends for them to remember to stay focused on their senior year.  (obviously the boys get 'The Boy in the Glass'.)  I don't want them to ever compromise their integrity and beliefs for a few minutes of acceptance and getting things the easy way.  A lot of people look back on their lives and have regrets.  I hope they will start now in realizing that today's choices will continue to affect their lives years down the road.  Sometimes once you've gone on the wrong path, it is a struggle to get back, and once you do, you're never the same.  The good thing is:  God grants us grace and mercy, and a chance to do better today.  It's a lesson for us all, and I wanted to share it with you, because it is so true.

Celebrating Life & loving the girl in the glass,
~ashley




The Girl in the Glass

When you get what you want in your struggle for self
And the world makes you queen for the day,
Just go to the mirror and look at yourself
And see what that girl has to say.

For it isn't your father or mother or friend
Whose judgement upon you must pass;
The woman whose verdict counts most in your life
Is the one staring back from the glass.

You may be like the person that chiseled a plum
And think you are great and sigh,
But the girl in the glass says you're only a bum
If you can't look her straight in the eye.

She's the person to please, never mind all the rest
For she's with you clear up to the end
And you've passed your most dangerous and difficult test
If the girl in the glass is your friend.

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of  years,
And get pats on the back as you pass,
But your final reward will be heartaches and tears
If you've cheated the girl in the glass. 

~author unknown

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Bone to Pick

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro

A New Place to Go