It's Your Day & I Became a Mommy


My Hoppy at 5 months.  This is one of my
favorite pictures of all time!

This time 18 years ago I was very sick, and about to become a mommy.  11:01 pm Hopson was brought into the world at 36 weeks; 5 lbs 11 ozs; 19 1/2" long.  He was a little peanut baby, but he was all mine.

His birth story was a hard one.  If I had lived before the time of modern medicine, I would have died in childbirth.  That's a great thought to have 18 years later isn't it?  It's not meant to be morbid, just me being thankful for each day, and reflecting on my own mortality.

I had pre-eclampsia with the HELLP syndrome.  I went in for a typical non-stress test on a Friday.  No biggie.  The next thing I know, I'm being admitted to the hospital because they were afraid I was about to have a stroke.  Um, no, can't be admitted, have to go and clean my house and change my sheets.  It's sheet changing day.  They told me I had no choice.  Nice.  They were throwing all these terms at me that I had no idea what they meant.  I called Hopson & told him what was going on.  He immediately came to the hospital.  I was told to strip and put on a most lovely hospital gown.

Hop at 2 1/2.  This is how I see him
when I look at him.  My little buddy.
I didn't feel bad, just pregnant.  The doctor put me on magnesium sulfate and told not to come off of my left side.  They had to get my pressure down & this is how they do it.  Friday...Saturday...Sunday...no change.  Monday morning, August 1, 1994.  My OB comes into my room and informs we that we are going to have a baby today.  What?  Um no, can't do that.  I was about to start his nursery.  I have laundry.  I really want to go home.  She also told me that my chances of having this baby normally was about slim & none, but they were going to give me a go to see how I would do.  Huh?  See how I would do?   

Give me a go?  May I please have some drugs?  10 AM:  I'm hooked up to Pitocin, water is broken, and there's no going back now.  For the first 8 hours there was not much going on.  Contractions not too bad, I think I can do this labor thing.  Oh yeah, did I mention that I didn't get any pain meds?  Well, only Nubane, but it didn't help at all.  No epidural because if they had nicked a vein or artery I could have bled out.  About hour 9, I enter active labor, and it's hard.  I had the sweetest L&D nurse who talked me through it.  Hopson & I were young and stupid.

Today.  My little buddy has grown a bit.
Skip to hour 11.  The peaks of my contractions are coming 30 seconds apart.  I have never felt so much pain in my whole entire life.  I looked at Hopson and told him I couldn't do it anymore.  He told me:  "I know exactly how you feel."  Um, no, I'm pretty sure you don't, but when I jump out of this bed and sock you in the face you will.  But I digress.  The anesthesiologist came into my room & Hopson said "The man with the golden needle, we are so happy to see you!".  Problem for me, no epidural...yet.  Stat lab work...one more hour. 

Hour 12 1/2.  Levels are up just enough.  The doctor told me I was going to feel several little stings in my back.  No stings in the back, but one HUGE contraction.  Oh, oh sweet relief.  Instant relief and now rest.  At least an hour.  Yea!

Hop & some of his friends who've come over for cake!
The doctor came in to 'just give me a quick check' literally 10 minutes after I received the epidural.  He said that I was ready to go.  What?  Go where?  Can't I sleep?  No rest for the weary.  At 11:01 PM, 13 hours after my labor began, Hopson Jr. was brought into the world.  10 fingers, 10 toes, and so precious.

He was a beautiful baby.  I had to stay in the hospital for a week, but have been running ever since.  It's so worth it.  I love being a mom & know that it is what I was called to do.  I am blessed enough to be a stay-at-home mom.  I don't mind losing my own name & being known as ___________'s mom.  (choose a name, there are four different ones, seven if you count big Hop & the dogs.) 


It's been a great 18 years.  Happy Birthday Hop!  Dad and I are so proud of the man you are becoming.  You are a blessing to our family & we love you very much.  May your path in front of you be as bright as the ones you have left behind.  Have a wonderful senior year!

Celebrating Life & my Hop's 18th birthday!
~ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro

A New Place to Go

A Little Bone to Pick