We Three Kings of Orient Are

I thought I would go with another Epiphany theme for today's posting.  I love the song We Three Kings.  It's so cool to think about these guys.  Don't think of them as showing up Christmas night to see the baby Jesus, because that is not how it happened.

These guys were astrologers in the Orient.  Someone told me they were known as 'king makers'.  While studying the skies they noticed a new star that had settled over Jerusalem.  They knew it was a special star & set off, on their camels, to find out what king was living under that star.  This was a several thousand mile journey, not just a jaunt over the next hill.

It is often speculated that there were three wise men, but there could have been more.  What is important is that when they saw Jesus, who is between 1 and 2 when the Magi arrive, they knew he was the messiah.  They didn't hesitate in giving their obedience to Him, and they gave him three gifts to signify His life and death.  Gold for royalty; frankincense to offer Him worship (it was used on the alter in the Temple); and myrrh because He would die and give His life as a ransom for all.

When you consider all these things and then think about what the Christmas carol is saying, it really means something.  Or at least it does to me.  Am I like the Magi?  Do I recognize that Jesus is someone very special?  Do I seek Him, willing to drop everything for Him?  Do I give Him what He deserves as my King and Lord?  Just a few questions for us all as we head into a new year.  It makes me think of Jeremiah 29:13:  "You will seek me and find me when you seek me with all your heart."

Celebrating Life!
~ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Bone to Pick

A New Place to Go

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro