Oh Captain, My Captain

Hopson & Henry building
Today is Father's Day.  It's the day we celebrate daddies.  You know, any man can become a father, but it takes someone special to be a daddy.  One of the children asked me one day if I was the captain of our family.  I told them that I was the first mate; our daddy is the captain.  A daddy is the captain that steers the family.  He is a defender.   He sets the example and upholds the standards of the family.  He guides with love and patience, but holds the family accountable.  Being captain is a big job.  I know I don't want it.  Everyone always talks about how invaluable mothers are, but I would argue that daddies are more important.  

Teaching E & Henry how to
mow the grass.
There is research done by the US Department of Health & Human Services that proves how important daddies are.  Fathers who are actively involved in their children's lives are more likely to preform better, and stay in school.  Daddies who interact with their young children have a positive impact on the development and health of their children.  If a child has a good relationship with their father, they are less likely to experience depression, and were likely to exhibit "pro-social" behavior.  Boys had fewer school behavior problems and girls had stronger self-esteem.  The children are less likely to become teenage parents.  They are less likely to be incarcerated.  Good daddies are so needed.  

Building & installing a diving board
I am not going to tell you what a great daddy Hopson is; but he is.  I'm not going to tell you how great he is at digging beyond the emotions of a situation & can see through to the heart of the matter; but he can.  I'm not going to talk about what a great problem solver he is, and how he teaches each of our children to be problem solvers too; but he does.  I wouldn't dare brag about how the man can fix anything; but he can.  Hopson has passed all these things to our children.  I hope each of our boys are like him, and that Elizabeth will find a man that can measure up.  Now don't get me wrong, he is not perfect, but if I could get him to pick-up his dirty clothes, and put away all his papers on the kitchen table, we might be getting somewhere. ;)

The fam at Henry's baptism.
To all the daddies out there, Happy Father's Day.  Know your role is bigger than you could ever imagine, and you do make a difference everyday in the lives of your family.  If you are not the father you need to be, it's never too late!  Oh Captain, My Captain...you family needs you.

Happy Father's Day Honey Daddy!  You've been a great father for 18 years.  I know there will be no exception in the next 18.  To my daddy, it's been 21 years since I've seen you.  I wish you could see your grandchildren, you would be so proud of them.

Celebrating Life!
~ashley





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro

A New Place to Go

A Little Bone to Pick