The Thrill of Victory...

...and the agony of defeat.

This is going to be my honest take on last night's Iron Bowl, and then, I'll be silent.

The phrase above perfectly sums up the 2013 game.  All of you know where I stand, but just in case you don't, I bleed orange and blue.  3rd generation and all that with the 4th generation currently an AU freshman.  I try to not be a fan.  Fan is short for fanatic.  A fanatic is, according to Websters:

fa·nat·ic

  [fuh-nat-ik]
noun
1.
a person with an extreme and uncritical enthusiasm or zeal

I like to think of myself as, what an AU grad and former AU AD, David Housel said:  "an Auburn woman".  I don't just cheer for my team, I love them because they are a very small part of my school, my home, my Auburn.  But I digress...here's the honest take, for what it's worth.

First of all, no one believed Auburn could pull out a win, except the Auburn family.  Every commentator I heard on every sports network picked Alabama to win. (Hop was home from AU, so trust me, I heard them all!)  And honestly, why wouldn't they?  UA has been ranked #1 for over 2 years.  UA has beaten every opponent in the last two years except when they lost to Texas A & M last year.  A lot of the games were not even close.  Alabama is a GREAT football team.  I can admit that.  I would be able to admit that even if Auburn had lost, and I would have been OK with it.

Second, tacky fans...on both sides of the isle, go back into your scary little closets please.  (notice I said please.)  Those of us who love our schools...on both sides of the isle, don't really like you.  You give us all a bad name.  You make us look like crazy hicks who don't have a life.  Oh wait, maybe you don't.  Well let me drop some knowledge on you, there are much bigger and more important things to worry about than Alabama or Auburn winning.  Please learn where the fine line is between being a fan & someone who is just plain loco.

Third, this is for those of you who threaten young men in their late teens or early 20's for not winning a football game, shame on you!  I've never strapped on shoulder pads and donned a jersey, but have boys that have.  I know the sacrifice of playing TEAM sports.  You should be proud of the young men that represent your school, especially when they conduct themselves with class.  You should be willing to stand by them through thick and thin.  And if you think what I am saying is total poop, remember that who you are wanting to hurt is someone's son.  I know if you ever threatened any of my children or their friends, the first person you will have to go through is me.

With all that said, the 2013 Iron Bowl was incredibly played by two great teams.  And for those of you who think Auburn is just  lucky, let me remind you of what Alabama's Paul "Bear" Bryant said about luck:  "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity." I couldn't have said it better myself!

Celebrating Life & War Eagle!
~ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Place to Go

A Little Bone to Pick

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro