Cry Me a River

Everyday women are amazing.  I know many people look up to celebrities, but honestly, I know regular people who are incredible mothers and professionals.  They get up everyday, grind it out, and don't expect special treatment for doing the normal.  Family and friends are the ones ordinary women lean on, because no one thinks twice about the normal.  Everyday things accomplished by a non-celebrity go unnoticed, but you have a celebrity talk about or do anything, and people lose their ever-loving-minds.  It's nuts, and pregnancy is a big one.

Have you seen some of the names celebrities come up with for their kids?  Just Google it...yikes.   There are those women who love being pregnant.  Their skin glows; their hair is silky smooth; and their nails are super strong.  They can eat what ever they like and they sleep beautifully.  Yeah, I don't like those people.  Just kidding; really am just jealous.  I fell into the lucky 10% of all other pregnancies.

I hope you didn't think I was pregnant.  Thank you Jesus, I am not.  With kiddos ages:  almost 23, 20, 17 & 15 the only babies I want are grand babies, but I'm a few years from that  yet.

Anywho, like I was saying, the lucky 10%.  Pregnancy for us is horrible.  Sick, and sick and more sick.  Having only morning sickness would have been great, but most of us have all day sickness.  Imagine having to grocery shop and cook while needing to, and then throwing up.  Raw chicken is the grossest thing to smell or deal with when you're sick.  We don't complain too much about it.  Our husbands go to work and do their thing.  We go to work, class, or take care of other children.  Life doesn't stop because we're sick.  So I had to giggle a little when I read an article about David Arquette's wife Christina's sickness with her 2nd child.  Yep, she was in the 10%.

Nutshell, she couldn't believe she felt so bad after a great first pregnancy.  They tried everything but nothing helped.  Been there, done that, have the t-shirt...4x.  That's 36 months of throwing up, everyday, all day long.  It gives me the shivers just thinking about it.  Back then, my doctors didn't give me meds, they told to eat more.  Sure ok.  Ever thrown up from simply talking about food?  Yes, I did that.  It's ok to laugh now, it was over 23 years ago, but at the time it was not funny.

I know the Arquette's are trying to bring "awareness" to the 10%, but really?  It's kind of silly.  The current 10% is out there, sucking it up and trying to make it work in spite of feeling terrible.  Every time I see celebrity "awareness" articles I think to myself:  "for the love of all that is good and holy, just cry me a river".  Real people don't need awareness, they need a hug, and maybe for you to bring their fam some dinner or play with their kids.  Either one of those things is huge!   The everyday person's awareness is:  sorry, you're having a horrible, terrible, no good, very bad pregnancy.  It happens to some of us. Is it fair, no, but life isn't fair.  We get on with life because we don't have a choice.

If you find yourself in the 10%, I am so sorry!  Know it does end, I know you feel like it won't but you will be fine.  (after the baby is born)  And you'll love that sweet baby & have hilarious throw-up stories to tell them when they're older.  Each of my kids has at least 1 throw up story, and it's one of their badges of honor.  Look at it from a different perspective, there are a ton of women who would give anything to be able to be pregnant and be in the 10%.  Perspective, it's a wonderful thing.

Celebrating Life!
~ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Bone to Pick

A New Place to Go

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro