The House that Love Built

 A friend from grade school was going through old pictures and found a picture of the house I grew up in.  I have wonderful memories from that home.  We played football in the front yard, swam in the pool, built homecoming signs, and watched movies and the 1984 Olympics.  My parents let me invite the entire 8th grade over to swim the day we officially became 9th graders.  That house is filled with laughter.   

My parents didn't care about your background.  They didn't care what kind of home you came from.  They wanted you to feel loved and accepted when you came over to our house.  It was a house that love built. 

It's funny looking back.  You think that some kids have it all together just to find out they saw themselves as misfits.  I was always the one who felt like I was on the fringe.  Not cool, not as smart as I wanted to be, not a lot of things.  I wonder how many other kids felt & feel like that today?  Social media allows kids to only show the best of themselves & some just can't live up to it.  The human touch has been replaced by likes on a screen. 

What we really need is more houses that are built on love.  (not on popularity)  Places where kids put down their devices and talk, kid around, swim, play football in the front yard, have water balloon & shaving cream fights, and help each other through their fears.  These times made me realize I wasn't alone in my dorkiness.  I had friends who saw my dorkiness & loved me in spite of it. 

I was able to go through my old house about 10 years ago.  I could close my eyes and see my high school friends.  I could hear their laughter and chatter.  I saw them swimming in the pool & running down the back staircase.  (You didn't dare go down the front, because Linda would wear you out with a switch.)  It was a beautiful thing to remember, and I am thankful for those days.

If you spent any time at my house growing up, thank you!  Thank you for being part of my happy memories.  I hope you felt loved and accepted.  May we all have homes that are built on love and acceptance!

Celebrating life, love & friendship!
~ashley

Photo creds: Chris Fegin
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Bone to Pick

A New Place to Go

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro