Hey Sweetheart, We ALL See That

Can I tell you how afraid I am?  No, I take that back, I'm not afraid...I.AM.TERRIFIED.  I'm terrified for this generation of young adults and teenagers.  I truly believe that social media has made most of them stupid and self-centered.  Yes children, I used the word stupid.  This is calling a spade a spade.

Do young people realize that when they post something on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram (WOW, y'all & your instagram pics), SnapChat, or any other social media site for that matter, that we can all see what you're posting?  Do you realize that some of your accounts are tied together, so when you post on one, it might cross-post on another?  I really hate SnapChat by the way!  It's shady at best.

Do you realize that when you friend me, or I start following you because your account is not private, I will go in and look at stuff you've posted in the past?  To steal a line from one of my favorite radio shows:  "Hey buddy, you're broadcasting!"  I'm tired of the thousands of fish-faced selfies, or the pics of you with your mouth open, or you with all the stuff you have, or of you knee walking drunk, or screenshots you've taken of things that are totally inappropriate that you do with your #bffs.  (BTW, if you want to see a funny clip on hashtags, Jimmy Fallon did one with Justin Timberlake & yeah, it's funny.  Click HERE to see it.)


If  you think nothing will happen later in life because of what you post, you are so wrong.  Let me tell you that your future employers have people who do nothing all day but look at all the crap you've posted on all these sites to see if they should give you a job...it may not worry you now, but when you can't get a job, it might.

I'm just sick of it all.  I have been on Facebook, which according to my older children is not cool anymore, for 5 years.  I got on so I could monitor aforementioned children, because honey daddy & I are the mean parents who don't let our kids have any anything but an email address until they are in high school, and then I stalk watch them on Facebook.  When they moved to twitter, so did I.  Now it's Instagram, and hey guess what...I'm there too.

I follow my children's friends, I follow other adults.  Sometimes I post things, sometimes I just look.  But the boldness, (for the lack of a better word) at what some of the teens and college students are posting is cuh-ray-z.  Parents, please become your child's stalker.  Search their site and see what they're posting.  You may not always catch them doing anything wrong, but sometimes you just might.  In my mind, it's better to be safe than sorry.  Because I really don't want to see your 21 year old with a HUGE list of everything they're doing on their 21st birthday bar crawl.  If you don't know what that is...Google it!

I made mistakes in college & I'm SO happy that all the social media wasn't around then.  It just feels like with all the social media we've started giving passes for inappropriate behavior.  I want my children to be more knowledgeable about things than I was.  I want them to have fun, but I also want them to live to a high standard.  If they mess up, Hopson & I are here to help them, but we for sure don't want it advertised all over creation through social media sites. Hey parents, stop being Amy Poehler's character in Mean Girls & look into what your kids are doing!  A little concern & love goes a long way!

Celebrating my life as the stalker of 4,
~ashley

   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Place to Go

A Little Bone to Pick

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro