Let Them Eat Cake

Yeah, I wish.  Cake is easier to make, well sort of.  Ok, not for me.  For me, cake is impossible to make as well as anything that is classified as a dessert.  Did you know that stressed spelled backwards is desserts?  For me it should be desserts (that I have to cook) spell stressed.

Last week Henry told me that for his French class today he needed to bring Mille-Feuille.  It's no big deal he said.  We could get it at Whole Foods he said.  Of course, I completely forgot about the M-F until yesterday when Hen reminded me about it.  Ok, no biggie.  I will call Whole Foods to make sure they have some handy & I'll pick it up & Henry can take it to school & we'll all be happy.

Because I'm writing about it, you already know that Whole Foods did not have any.  As a matter of fact, they looked at me like I had grown another head when I asked them about.  The bakers at WF had no idea what I was talking about.  Mille-Feuilles are also called Napoleons if you've every eaten them under that name.  OK, onto plan B, and I'm going to tell you, I don't like plan B.

Plan B entails me having to do a lot of precise measuring and mixing and cooking.  Bleh.  The band Foreigner, from the '80's for all you young people out there, always wanted to know what love is.  I'll tell you what love is, it's a homemade Mille-Feuille pastry made for a beloved youngest son.  If you've ever shopped at WF you know that it costs money just to breathe in the store.  I need a recipe, and it needs to be somewhat easy.  Thank you Google!  After spending $50 on puff pastry, heavy whipping cream, 2 vanilla beans and all purpose flour, we head for home.  I didn't buy anything else, just those 4 things.  Namaste.  Yeah, not!

2 Mille-Feuille cakes for
Henry's French class 
It's well documented that I do not follow directions in my cooking.  I just don't want to.  I like to be a rebel.  I like and need to break the rules.  It took me forever to make this dessert.  I was up until 11 working on it last night & then had to wake up early this morning to finish it.  (the pastry cream wasn't completely cool & was oozing out of the sides.)

After I looked at the picture of the recipe I have, I just realized that I layered it wrong.  Dangit!  I was going between a you tube video & my recipe & that's where I messed up.  At this point, I'm so not worried about it.  When people from different countries immigrate to the US, they Americanize their dishes anyway, so this is the American version of Mille-Feuille.

I'm hoping next time we get assigned eclairs or macaroons or how about a 2 liter drink?

Celebrating being done with my American Mille-Feuille!
~ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Place to Go

A Little Bone to Pick

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro