Ok, You're Up

I was accused, and rightly so, of not teaching the children how to cook.  Apparently they didn't learn by watching me cook for hours on end all through their childhood.  Yes, I'll be waiting on my mother of the year trophy and accolades from each of you reading this.  ;)  Well, the not being able to cook stops now for the 4.  Since this may be the very last time I have all four under one roof for the summer everyone is going to learn to cook, even Henry. (who, by the way, turned 14 yesterday!  HBD Hen!)

Sunday night we sat around the table eating dinner and we planned out the menu for the week.  Several rules were laid out for the summer of cooking:  You cannot grill out two weeks in a row.  No repeating meals over the weeks.  I will do the grocery shopping, but I have to know what you need.  I'm pretty sure I'll have to throw a few other rules in as we go along, but this was a good place to start.

Here's what everyone is cooking for week 1:

  • Hop:  baked bourbon marinated salmon; roasted asparagus with olive oil, lemon juice, thyme, and feta cheese; and couscous.
  • Harry:  homemade Friday Special based on the Taziki's recipe (of course I've tweaked it a bit) and he made breakfast casserole Monday for everyone to have 
  • Elizabeth:  burritos with caramelized onions and peppers, homemade guacamole, rice and possibly with Picarro
  • Henry:  hamburger pie
Part of the art of cooking is learning the timing of when everything will be done, so something doesn't sit around growing cold and/or rubbery.  It's happened to the best of us.  I have to say, Hop did a great job tonight, and before you ask, no I don't have any pictures because I didn't think to take any before we scarfed down what he cooked.  :)  

It's going to be a great summer!  If you need for your kids to have cooking lessons, send'em over & I'll be happy to help them learn.  I love older kids, they're fun!!!  Woo Hoo, let the cooking begin!

Celebrating Life and passing on the love of cooking to the next generation!
~ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Place to Go

A Little Bone to Pick

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro