Never Stop Learning

And Loving...

I recently started a new job.  Yes, at my age it can be a little scary, but it's been great.  Before I go forward, a little back story first...

...For the last 4 1/2 years I have been a sub in my children's school system.  (if you are a mom, love kids, and need a great way to make a little spending money, I highly recommend it.)  I loved being a sub!  I was able to be like everyone's favorite aunt.  You know the one I'm talking about.  She the one who comes in and loves you for you.  She helps you get through the have to's so you can have a little fun while your mom's not around.

The way a sub enters a classroom is SO important.  You have to be confident, because it's true the children can smell fear, but you also have to be available to the kids:  available to offer an ear, extra help, smiles, a few hugs, and maybe even a little discipline in a life-giving way.

We would play 4 corners if everyone finished with their work.  We would listen to music, because these kids are used to being bombarded with sounds while they study.  Whatever we needed to do get their work done & have a little fun, I'd be willing to try, as long as it fell within the rules.  You know what, I LOVED it!  I also loved serving the teachers.  I wanted to feel they could trust me with their children and lesson plans.  You may think it's ridiculous for a substitute to feel this way, but I did.

OK, so back to present day.  Back in December, the principal of the school I subbed for a bunch asked me if I wanted to be a part of their school family as a paraeducator.  Huh, did I want to?  Did I want to dedicate my days to one set of children?  Part of me screamed no.  Part of me said that I couldn't do it at my age.  Part of me said that I would royally mess up & the children would be messed up for life.  I released my self-doubt.  I don't know if I've ever prayed as hard for two weeks as I prayed back in December.  I asked God to make it clear.  To make a very long story short, He did.  He showed me that He had been prepping me for this my whole life, and that I couldn't be afraid to learn some new things.  So, I accepted the job.

I have to say I work with some amazing women.  There are four of us in our room and we work as a team.  Are their hard days; yes there are. We work with kids, so there are going to be a few hard days here and there.  We choose to celebrate the victories big time, and we work through the hard stuff.  I am so thankful for the women in 161 and the other classroom teachers I work beside.   Y'all are amazing.  They have also been patient as I learn how to take notes again & learn how to serve our student population.  My heart is so full & I feel blessed beyond measure.  I truly work at The Best Middle School in America.

Celebrating life, the ability to learn & love on kids,
~ashley



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Bone to Pick

A New Place to Go

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro