Throwing Kindness part 2

So, I was watching the news this morning.  Of course they started talking about national politics and what members in both parties were doing, and I'm just done.  The fighting and negativity is uncalled for.  These people are supposed to be some of the smartest in our country, but in some ways the are just doltish.  Here are some things I've learned during my five years subbing & now working in my school.

1.  I don't agree with everyone's views on things, and that is ok.  What our country has lost is the ability to agree to disagree.  I may stand on the completely opposite end of the spectrum on an issue, but I'm not going to hate you for it.  That's stupid.  We can agree that we stand on different sides of the isle, and maybe we can find somewhere we agree.

2.  "You're never fully dressed without a smile." ~Annie 
I love the university I graduated from.  I love it for so many different reasons, but one of the main ones is because we had something called 'Hey Day'.  All day, students wear name tags and as I would walk to class I would hear, 'Hey Ashley'.  Now Auburn students do that anyway, but having a designated Hey Day is fun.  Do you ever call out Hey to someone and frown?  No!  You say Hey & add a smile onto it.  Smiles are free & when you freely give them out, it can (not always, but has the ability to) disarm someone who has negative thoughts.  It also makes you look prettier. 
"Smile, it increases you face value!"  ~Truvy in Steel Magnolias

3. One thing we work on in our classroom is compromise.  (I also taught it to my children when they were little.)  You and I might want/need different things, but we can work together and accomplish our goals.  No one enjoys 'giving in', but as we work through the compromise I might be able to see your side a little better, and you might be able to see mine.

4.  Backstabbing has to go.  No one likes to be left out alone and criticized.  It's hurtful.  The words you say matter.  I wish our lawmakers would take this to heart.  You can be kind but firm in what you say.  You can be kind while you question what someone means. 

We have to model these things for our children.  What they are learning right now is to:
1.  Pitch a fit to get what they want.
2.  What they want matters most whether it's good for the majority or not. 
3.  I don't have to be kind to you because you don't believe the same things I do. 
This madness must stop, and if the adults aren't willing to do it first, who will teach the children?

Choosing kindness & to speak words of life!  (even if we disagree)
~ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro

A Little Bone to Pick

A New Place to Go