Take a Deep Breath and Parent On

Each day I check my online news feed.  Each day I see some things that disturb me to no end.  Can I say there are some very bad people out there who are maiming and killing their children in the most horrendous ways?  I don't know if the parents are mentally ill or just tired of their kids, but reading these stories day after day is breaking my mommy's heart.

I know there are some out there who have children because they want someone to love them.  I've heard someone say this before, so I'm not making it up.  Anyone who has children knows that your kids do show you love, but they also can be very irritating, a pain in the booty, difficult.  Ask a mother of a toddler, or a child you are teaching to read, or a teenager.  Yeah, the struggle is real. 

What I'm really wondering is, how do these parents think hurting or killing their children was an option when they became frustrated or tired of parenting.  With 4 kids, I've been there, but I never considered hurting them an option.  I thought of possibly running away, yes, but as far as hurting them, never.  For the record, I never ran away, just thought about it once, maybe twice.

Over the last few days I've read about different moms:  one gave her child a toxic level of salt to kill them to get her husband to return to her; in Georgia, a mother was leaving her 2 year old at home alone overnight & subsequently starved said child to death; another mom was upset about her 16 month old crying that she sprayed bleach in his face (he didn't die, but he has chemical burns on his face, back and shoulders); and there are numerous parents intentionally leaving their children in hot cars.  These are just 2 days worth of headlines.  I keep wondering what tomorrow will bring & I cringe just thinking of it. 

Do I feel sorry for these moms?  Yes, because for whatever reason, they were ill-equipped to raise children.  Am I extremely angry at these moms?  Absolutely.  If you can't deal with your children anymore, ask for help!  There is no shame in asking for help, ever.  (whomever came up with the ridiculous notion that asking for help made you weak is an idiot)  You have heard that it takes a village to raise a child, and it is true.  If you have no one to talk to, find someone.  If you don't have parenting wisdom, find someone you respect & crawl up under their wing & learn everything you can.  If you don't have anyone supporting you through your parenting journey, for the love of your own sanity, find someone.  You are not alone.  We all feel frustrated by our children, even when they are adults.   

Celebrating life & the love of children,
~ashley


Comments

  1. Hello Ashley. I am a Pastor from Mumbai. INDIA. I am glad to stop by your profile on the blogger and the blog post. I am also blessed and feel privileged and honoured to get connected with you as well as know you and about your interest. I enjoyed your blog post on celebrating the love and the life of children. I love getting connected with the people of God around the globe to be encouraged, strengthened and praying for one another. I have been in the Pastoral ministry for llast 39 yrs in this great city of Mumbai a city with a great contrast where richest of rich and the poorest of poor live. We reach out to the poorest of poor with the love of Christ to bring healing to the brokenhearted. We also encourage young and the adults from the west to come to MUMBAI to work with us during their vacation time. We would love to have young people from your connections to come to Mumbai to work with us during their vacation time. I am sure they will have a life changing experience. My email id is: dhwankhede(at)gmail(dot)com and my name is Diwakar Wankhede. Looking forward to hear from you very soon. God's richest blessings on you, your family and friends.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Bone to Pick

A New Place to Go

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro