One Big Happy Family...Again

Harry (22), Elizabeth (18), Hopson (24) & Henry (16)
Christmas season is so wonderful because everyone comes home.  It's also great because once Christmas is over they leave.  But not this year. 

I was just getting into the habit of cooking for 3.  It's a big difference cooking for 3 instead of 6.  Henry was loving being an only child.  Like really loving it.  He had the entire upstairs to himself.  He could spread out all his stuff & be king.  Last year he moved into Harry's old room & since it wasn't everything he wanted he then moved into Hop's room. 

In September Hop asked if he could move home for a time.  His lease was up on his apartment & he wanted to take his time finding a new place to live.  We said ok as long as he didn't expect to live at home forever. At about the same time Harry told us he had a Co-Op with a building company in Birmingham.  Obviously, we wanted him to live at home.  Plus he needs to pay off his motorcycle loan.  That, is another story for another time. 

When Henry found out both of his older brothers were moving home I don't think he was too happy.  In his frustration, Henry angrily asked when Elizabeth was moving home too.  I just giggled.  He then remembered he was in Hop's old room & told us he didn't plan on giving it back.  It was hilarious. 

I don't think Hop or Harry are enjoying the idea of moving back home.  They like the idea of saving money, but they have been on their own for too long.  They are used to not having us worry about their every move.

I've been trying to be a good mom to adult children.  I've tried to allow them the freedom to move about and take care of what they need to without me breathing down their necks.  It's hard.  I still want to dictate where they go & what they do like I did when they were little.  But, my children are not little anymore, and it's not all bad.

Elizabeth told me today she is ready to go back to Auburn.  It's her home now & our home is where she visits.  I remember the feeling that my 200 sq. ft. dorm room was the best thing ever.  I loved it because it was mine.  My childhood home was a place I visited.  But, right now we are one big happy family, and we will enjoy this time we have with everyone at home.   I will also love having 3 of the 4 chicks in the nest for the next few months.  :)

Merry Christmas, Happy New Year & celebrating life,
~ashley

Comments

  1. i understand that feeling of nostalgia sarah, it breaks my heart but birds gotta leave the nest one day

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A New Place to Go

A Little Bone to Pick

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro