Pizza Amore

My fam loves pizza.  A few summers ago I think I averaged cooking at least 2 homemade pizzas a week. I like homemade pizzas better because I know exactly what is on it & can load it with different kinds of vegetables & the people will gobble it up.  Tonight, I went into uncharted territory. 

Henry is trying to lean up for lacrosse season.  Being 16, it shouldn't take him that long.  I hate teenage boys.  They can burn 1000 calories by just blinking.  That's fair, said no momma ever.  I've been on a diet most of my life & I'm still trying to lose baby weight I gained when I was pregnant with Henry.  Granted he is 16, but I still have about 10 pounds I need to get off.  I'm thinking at this point it may just be a permanent part of the bod, boo.  Anyway... 

Henry started eating much leaner last week, aaannnddd he lost 5 pounds in one week.  (Insert huge eye roll here.)  All he did was cut down on his carb intake.  Now he does have practice 5-6 days a week & the days he doesn't have practice he goes to the gym to box for 2 hours.  He is not lacking in the workout department.  But that's beside the point, he lost 5 POUNDS in 1 WEEK.  Ugh. 

The one thing he said he was missing was pizza.  I mean, it's happy food, who wouldn't miss it?  Since Hen is my favorite 16-year-old, I decided to help a brother out, and tonight I made him a pizza with a cauliflower crust.  It can't be that difficult right?  Here's what I found out.  It's not that hard, but it is extremely time-consuming.   

I bought a fresh head of cauliflower, cut it up & steamed it.  After steaming it, I had to put the florets into a food processor to make it the consistency of cauliflower rice.  This part is not difficult.  It is actually pretty cool.  It's the next part that is tricky & where I was lacking a little.  Cauliflower has a ton of natural water in it.  It's a veggie & it's good for you, so that's not surprising.  The next step is to squeeze as much of the water out as you can.  I realized pretty quickly didn't have the right equipment for it.  I needed a cheesecloth bag & the only ones I have a tiny.  (Like tea bag tiny)  I decided to use a small slotted strainer.  It worked ok, but cheesecloth would have been better. 

1 pizza crust ready to be topped
The next thing is to mix an egg, cheese (I used shredded mozzarella), and dried basil in with the dehydrated cauliflower rice & stir it well.  I then put parchment paper on my baking stone & spread the mixture on the parchment.  One head of cauliflower made enough crust to fill my entire stone.  On the recipe I used (which if you know me, you know I use a recipe more like guidelines) it says to cook the crust for 10 minutes.  Well, in actuality, I cooked the crust for 40 minutes & could have cooked it for another 20.  I'm thinking it took longer because I didn't get all the water out of the cauliflower. It was a little spongy.  Oh yeah, there is one egg in it.

I topped the crust just like I do for any other pizza & put it back into the oven for 20 minutes.  I have to admit it smelled pretty good.  The big test was going to be when the guys tasted it.  I didn't tell Hopson right off the bat, because I wanted to see what he said.  He like it & so did Mr. Super Picky (Harry).  Henry said he was just thankful to be able to eat pizza.  So while it was labor intensive, I think it is a definite do again.  I will get a cheesecloth to help me get all the water out of the cauliflower rice the next time I make it though.  All in all, not a bad night cooking.

Here's to healthy eating & being a teenage boy who can lose 5 pounds a week.
Celebrating life!
~ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro

A Little Bone to Pick

A New Place to Go