Lead by Example

All I have ever wanted for my children is for them to be kind and generous to someone in need without wanting anything in return.  I'm willing to bet if I polled 100 people, at least 99 of you want the same for your children as well.  It's something we all want, but how many times do we not see little ways we can help others.  There is no act of service that is small because it may be big for someone else.  As parents, grandparents, and mentors we have to lead by example.

What I've learned is children are not innately kind and generous.  Ever had a two year old tell you "mine!" or not willing to share toys?  Ask me how many times I broke up my kiddos arguing over who would share what toy & who hit whom.  Ever tried to ask a child/teenager to help do anything that they didn't really want to do?  (cut the grass, unload the dishwasher, fold clothes, pick up toys...does anyone out there feel me?)  Like I said, children are not innately kind and giving.  The good news is kindness and generosity can be taught.  The real kicker is, for it to really be absorbed into their little craniums, it has to be modeled...a lot.  And I do mean a lot.

There are tons of way to model the kind of behavior you want to see in your kids.  It requires diligence, but it is worth it in the end.  I also challenge all adults to extend these things to others.  Go that extra mile to help someone.  (Include your kids if you can.)  

Lend a hand when you can!
Celebrating Life,
~ashley

Things you can do to help others:

  • cut grass & rake leaves for an elderly or sick neighbor
  • help a short person reach something on the top shelf at the grocery store (this is a real struggle for many of us)
  • grab a shopping cart or two that has been left in the parking lot
  • keep $1 bills in your wallet during Christmas to put in the Salvation Army's red kettle
  • donate to a food pantry
  • keep a homeless kit in your car to give to those who are homeless on the side of the road.  It can include:  toothbrush, toothpaste, a gift card to eat at a local restaurant, wipes, advil, a brush,  a razor, etc.
  • cook dinner or bake goodies for a teacher
Find a way to help someone & post what you did below so everyone can have one more way to show kindness to others!
   

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Place to Go

A Little Bone to Pick

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro