I Think It Was Culture Shock Part 1


This week my in-laws watched Hopson's & my niece and nephew, Claire & Briscoe, while Hopson's brother and his wife went to the Republican National Convention.  Claire & Briscoe are from Virginia.  Now, I know a lot of people think Virginia is a southern state, because they sided with the south in the war of northern aggression, (hehe ;) aka The Civil War)  but when you listen to their accents, they don't sound southern.  Maybe they sound so northern because we live in the deep south, but I don't think anyone would mistake one of my kiddos as being from Virginia, and I know no one would mistake C or B as being from Alabama.  I think they had a little bit of a culture shock. 

Something very important happens tonight:  high school football begins.  And you know what's almost better?  My favorite college team plays tomorrow:  War Eagle to all in the Auburn Family!

Football is not big in the school Claire attends.  It may not even be very big in Virginia.  I mean, they have a great college team:  Virginia Tech, Frank Beamer is a pretty awesome man and coach, but I don't think it's a way of life like it is in Alabama.  We're pretty strong about our football teams:  little league through college.  We don't really care about pro as a whole.  The high school & college boys do, but that's because they have fantasy teams and drafts and all that kind of stuff.  For me, pro football happens to bridge the days in between all the college games.

Friday is here and it's time for us to put on our Rebel gear and head to the high school game.  Claire was asking what it was going to be like.  I really don't know how to explain it.  You just have to experience it.  Fans decked out in the school colors, the band primed and ready to play, the Rebel guys who paint 'GO REBELS' on their bodies are painted up, the cheerleaders are warmed up & ready to lead the huge student section in cheering on the Rebels, and of course, the team focused and ready to put up a 'W'.

4 quarters of our team grinding it out on the field.  The game felt long.  It was a hard fought battle, but I am excited to say the Rebs got a win!  Win number one on our way to winning state.  :)  Hey, I'm a homer, what can I say?  It's my Alma mater & Once a Rebel, Always a Rebel! 

Claire was a little surprised that we immediately turned on college football once we got home from the game.  Welcome to the south!  Can you ever watch too much football?  I don't think so.

Celebrating Life & the beginning of the greatest sport in the world!
~ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro

A Little Bone to Pick

A New Place to Go