What to Do?


Well, the pretty pretty princess has developed a bad case of swimmer's ear.  I really didn't want to go to the doctor's office today.  I really didn't want to go to the doctor's office today.  I really didn't want to go to the doctor's office today.  Did I mention...well, you get the idea.

I decided to try some homeopathic remedies to see if I could get them to dry the water in her ear, and possibly clear any infection..  First I made some homemade Swimmer's Ear.  Equal parts white distilled vinegar, rubbing alcohol, and a little water.  Just in case you don't know:  the vinegar kills any bacteria because of the acidity, and the alcohol helps the water in the middle ear evaporate.  I filled a dropper with the concoction, and then proceeded to burn her ear.  Yep, I did.  She immediately told me it was burning her ear.  You know what that means?  She as an infection.  The alcohol was irritating the inflammation.  Nice, just go on and give me the Mother of the Year award.  But you know what, I wasn't finished.  (much to Elizabeth's chagrin.)

I decided to read up on a way to get rid of the infection on the web, because everything on the web is right.  (just kidding, I know it's not!)  So, I read that I need to infuse some extra virgin olive oil with a clove of fresh garlic.  I can do that!  I have EVOO, I have garlic.  I just need to cook it up.  I just knew this was going to work.  The garlic has natural antibiotic properties, and the warm EVOO will coat the ear & make it feel better.  Very easy, and it made my kitchen smell very yummy!

OK, E, tilt your head, let me see your ear & here we go.  And...it was a no go.  Dang it.  She said that the heated oil did make her ear feel better, but it still hurt like the dickens.  Well, I'm not going to wait a few days to see if this stuff works.  I had chronic ear infections as a child, and have had a few as an adult, and it's just not worth her being in pain anymore.  God allowed antibiotics to be invented, my children are not sick that often, so off to the doctor's office we go.  :/ 

You'll be happy to know that my diagnosis of swimmer's ear infection was correct.  Double ears, nice.  That's one for Dr. Mom.  The doctor prescribed an octic antibiotic.  It's already working, but she still hurts a little, so we're loading up on the Advil.  No swimming for her highness tomorrow. 

I'm going to start using the first mixture I made daily in my childrens' ears after they swim.  Hopefully we can get around an more ear infections by doing this.  We'll see, I'll let you know how it goes. 

Celebrating Life & the miracle of modern medicine!
~ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A New Place to Go

A Little Bone to Pick

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro