Happy Happy Birthday to My Sweet Girl


The Birthday Girl on the plane today
12 years.  12 years ago today Miss. Priss made her appearance into our family.  Elizabeth couldn't have arrived on a better day.  March 22nd fits her to a T.  She shares her birthday with my dad.  He would have been 64 today, and I know he would have loved her so much, maybe as much as we do.  I know her GiGi & Pop love her!

She was supposed to be a planned induction; funny how babies don't keep to the schedule their parents plan.  March 21, 2000, two of my friends, Amy & Jennifer, called me around 10 pm to wish me good luck.  They jokingly asked me if there was any chance of me going into labor.  The chances were about zero and none.  (Both the boys were scheduled inductions.)  Let's face it, my body didn't know how to go into labor by itself, but not this time.  It's now 11:15 pm, two sweet boys have been kissed and tucked in bed, grandparents briefed about the upcoming day, my face is clean, jammies on, and bags are packed.  Hopson is snoring, (this should have been a hint about the future) and I'm getting ready to try to get some sleep for E's big day. 

I lay down in the bed & all of a sudden I feel a little pop.  At first I thought I had tee teed on myself.  You know you've heard stories of moms who thought their water had broken and really they just went to the bathroom on themselves.  I was NOT going to be one of those statistics.  It was cool, no big deal, I went to the bathroom one more time & put on clean jammies and crawled back in the bed.  The next thing I realize I start having contractions.  What?!  I guess my water did break.  It's now around midnight.  I jump into the shower & hang out for quite some time.  The hot water feels good and relaxing during contractions.  I got out of the shower, put make-up on (I'm southern I have to be looking my best even if I am about to have a baby), fixed my hair, got dressed & woke-up Hopson. 

By the time I woke Hopson up my contractions were about 5 minutes apart.  He jumped about 10 feet out of the bed and was disoriented when I got him up.  It was pretty funny.  He asked if he had enough time to take a shower.  Sure, the more time I spend at home, the less time I spend confined to the hospital bed.  When we arrived, the nurses looked at me like I was crazy, and told me I was a few hours early.  Yes, I know, but my water has broken.  I get to my room, get strapped in with monitors, IV bags, etc, and now is the waiting game. 

Too much traveling makes you kinda crazy...

Being the third child, Elizabeth should have been born in a few hours max.  (Harry only took 4 hours from start to finish.)  My, fresh out of nursing school, nurse, who had a very hard time getting my IV started, couldn't figure what was taking her delivery so long.  The doctor came in & told me she was trying to come out arm first.  Once that was resolved, she popped right out.  Crazy baby, trying to wave at the world first.  She was my biggest baby at 7 lbs. 5 ozs.  She was a beautiful, pink, and healthy. 

Now, 12 years later, she's still beautiful, pink and healthy.  (and she had a great personality to go with it!)   Bless her heart, we had to spend her entire birthday traveling back home from our family vacation.  She was a great sport about it though & knows we'll make it up to her.  The Hunger Games movie comes out tomorrow & we're going to see it. 

Happy Birthday Sweet Elizabeth, 12 years old!  Where has the time gone?  I love you very much!

Celebrating Life & 12 years with a beautiful daughter,
~ashley

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Bone to Pick

A New Place to Go

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro