Now I'm a Different Kind of Dork

You already know what kind of dork I am...a pretty big one.  I have found that I don't hurt myself in a small way.  If I'm going to get hurt, it's going to be BIG.  It all started when I was a child. 

At 5 I remember trying to change the channel on the TV & pulling it over on myself.  This was before remote controls, and I climbed on our rocking horse while my mom wasn't watching.  As I tried to change the channel, I lost my balance & grabbed onto the TV to get myself rebalanced.  Not the best of ideas, but hey I was 5.  Needless to say, the TV came crashing down on top of my foot.  Big gash...trip to the emergency room...5 stitches.

In grade school we were playing soccer in our circle, and I went to head the ball & it hit me in the face.  I spit and the tops of my new bottom permanent teeth were broken off.  I had to wear bands around the nubs that were left, and then get them rebuilt.  That's not too bad of an injury, but as a child it was huge to  me.

Skip to middle school.  I was goofing around with some friends & I was standing on their backs.  I lost my balance & fell back and landed on my bootie & hands.  Broke my right wrist & ended up with very bad tendonitis in my right elbow.  I couldn't straighten my arm to save my life, write, or do anything for that matter.  Not fun.  Had a full arm cast for 6 weeks.  You don't realize how much you use your fingers, arms, or legs until you can't use them for a little while. 

The summer before my senior year of high school we were making up the pom routine we were going to take to camp & I tore my sartorius muscle.  Thank goodness it wasn't a full tear, but just enough for me not to participate at cheerleading camp, and I could do nothing for 8 weeks to let it heal.  You get strange looks when you're on crutches and don't have a cast.  People thought I was faking. 

In college I decided to jump off something called Acapulco Rock at Lake Martin.  It was a beautiful late spring day in Auburn.  Much too pretty to spend all day in class.  But young people, you shouldn't skip class, that's very irresponsible.  Anyway, I jumped off with a bunch of Hopson's fraternity brothers & a few other girls who were there.  They said I had a great entry into the water, but as soon as I hit, my right knee kicked out.  After a trip to the emergency room, and a few to the orthopedist I was told I tore my meniscus.  I had a full leg cast for my dad's funeral, surgery & then rehab, yuck.

About 8 years ago I was doing step aerobics.  I was rocking it out!  I had a great sweat going; I was concentrating on the choreography; and the next thing I know I feel something rip in my calf.  I split my calf muscle open.  It was awful.  I was in a boot for about a month. 

Yesterday, I hurt my good left knee; I don't really know how; and I feel like a total dork.  I couldn't bend it, straighten it, or lift it.  All it did was ache, and all I wanted to do was cry.  Luckily, it is a little better today.  (after a lot of Advil, a warm bath & a knee brace.)  It makes me wonder if this is going to be my big injury for my 40's.  Please let it be the only injury of my 40's.  If it's the worst thing that happens to me, you will not hear me complain.  Well maybe a little, it does hurt after all, but I'll get through it.

Well, it's time for another warm bath and Advil to head off any upcoming pain.

Celebrating Life & trying not to be a dork,
~ashley

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Little Bone to Pick

A New Place to Go

Well Good for Fair Fanny Petro